In January 2016 I decided that I wanted to remodel my master bathroom in my condo. I’ve lived in my condo for 5 years and I decided that we were a bit overdue.
Remodeling a bathroom did not seem like it was going to be a difficult task. I wrote out a game plan and thought that I’d be good to go. Boy was I wrong. It quickly became a nightmare for me. I didn’t realize that I needed to get permission and approvals for every little thing that I did inside of my condo because it could potentially disturb my neighbors.
It took me a little over 4 weeks to get all of my approvals in place. This also added about $400 to my budget because some of the permits to remodel my bathroom had fees associated with them.
I found out that the community had a shared water supply/source and thusly was forced to pay the HOA a fee to schedule a water shut off so that I could replace the toilet, and sinks in the bathroom. None the less, now that I had the permits in place, I thought it would be smooth sailing.
I began to plan out the renovation starting with with materials I would use for the flooring and the vanity surface. I was staring a month later than expected, I was hoping to recover time in the demolition process by bringing in additional family help.
I then created a master plan on how to complete the bathroom update. I had lot’s of ideas in my head from watching all those home improvement shows on television and spending untold hours looking at pictures on the internet while dreaming about what I wanted mine to look like.
My ideas included laying a new limestone tile floor, removing a claw foot tub and just installing an oversized (dual) stand up shower with 3 shower heads (one on each side and an overhead shower head), installing a water saving toilet, and new dual sink countertop made from the same limestone as the floor tiles. I’m able to get a larger cabinet here because of all the space saved from the removal of the claw foot tub.
Got got a lot of feedback regarding using limestone in the bathroom. I was told it was a terrible idea but I’m very meticulous about keeping up with the type of maintenance required that this website said would be necessary.
Now the plan was in place, the permits are in place… I though smooth sailing… Yet again I hit another snag. When trying to purchase my materials, I hit snags because in the State of California there are limitations on what can be purchased.
Trying to find my perfect shower heads, toilet, and faucets was very hard. I guess they implemented stricter regulations based off of a water shortage over the past few years. I had to alter my plans slightly because I could not find a shower head that I liked for the overhead water feature.
I will probably do an upgrade on it down the road. Seven weeks later, I was finally able to say my master bathroom was completed. I came in 3 weeks over plan and $875 over budget. All in all I am very pleased with the outcome.